Monday, January 01, 2007

Starting the new year broke {literally}...

It's a conspiracy...since Thursday:

1. Our big TV broke. Matt & I got eachother DVR for Christmas. Instead of patiently waiting for them to install it I picked up the box so we could start enjoying it right away. While trying to unscrew the cable the thingie snapped entirely off the back of the tv making it un-hookupable to anything. Luckily there were lots of sales & since we didn't go flat or hdtv we were able to replace it.
2. The DVR box or remote is defective. Once we fixed the TV situation we're averaging 2 outages/call the cable company a day. A "reset" takes 45 minutes to an hour. I will be trading it in tomorrow.
3. The microwave broke. I didn't let it go so far as to catch on fire, but the flashing lights, giant booming sounds, smoke and shooting sparks signaled it was time for a new appliance. And no, I didn't put metal in it {or pants}. Bye, bye Target gift card...but hello new microwave.
4. My computer "ran out of memory". See what I mean about the conspiracy theory? I had a lot of work to do and I went to save an illustrator document and I got the dreaded message. aaaaaaaaaaaargh....now, I spent the spare money, but this is essential so got an external hard drive at Fry's & a usb hub at Microcenter. Got home didn't like the hard drive, returned it at Fry's, got home realized I'd put the cord for the USB port in the hard drive box...aaaaaargh. Back to Fry's to claim my cord, off to Microcenter to buy a new hub {more expensive - aaaargh}. Look at this picture - when did I become one of "these people"? I never wanted to be one of these people with all the cords & accessories & complications...
5. No newsletter yet...I missed my own deadline. I'm really bummed. I was aiming to launch my newsletter by the end of December, but I haven't figured out the program yet. It's virtually ready & will go out {hopefully} this week or weekend. I really apologize for the delay. Being sick through all of this has thrown me for a loop.
6. My *#@!* glasses broke again. Last night I did it - I said "what else could happen?" Like the hand of God came down and smote me on the face for questioning the universe my glasses snapped in the center & fell off my face. There are no words. There are no glasses. I...I...I...don't know. Um....at least I have contacts.

So here it is 2007...I have several new things {unexpectedly}, considerably less money, and a broken pair of glasses. It can only get better from here...HAPPY NEW YEAR!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's stinks about your string of bad luck. Hopefully all the bad luck is done and 2007 will be a great year!!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That totally blows! Sending good vibes your way for 2007:)

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Emily! I think it was just time to get new stuff for the new year! LOL!! Things can only look UP for you in 2007! Try a new sytle of glasses...right?! Hugs, MargieH in Chicago

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel...I just said to my daughter today that it seems everything we have is always broke...even when we get new stuff there is always something broken or missing.

peace
Kim

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good God, Emily! It always seems to happen like that, doesn't it?

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily! So sorry about your bad luck, but it made my laugh! You always make me laugh.

Happy New Year!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...are you okay???
Girl, if anyone can find humor is all this bad luck...you will! You shine. Love your positive outlook!!!! See you soon. Teresa

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitions of 'disaster'
(dĭ-zăstər, -săs-) - 3 definitions - The American Heritage® Dictionary
disaster (n.)An occurrence causing widespread destruction and distress; a catastrophe.
disaster (n.) A total failure: The dinner party was a disaster.
disaster (n.) An evil influence of a star or planet.
Had I not looked up disaster I would not have known that all this clamity could possibly be an evil influence of a star or planet.
Of course the sparking, smoking microwave of January '07 may actually be a negative microwave karma continuation of the great hot pants situation chronicled in your blog of November '06.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home